Thursday, June 4, 2015

Extra Credit 2: New Wight Gallery

me and one drawing
It is the last school day of this quarter, and I cannot believe how fast the time goes. Now, I am writing the last blog of Desma 9 class. I went to the New Wight Gallery today, and I saw a large number of artistic works. The exhibition is an art undergraduate senior exhibition which is called “Please Help”. I was really attracted by tons of fascinating artistic works. I tried my best to understand the content of the drawings, and I also tried to find some relationships between all the drawings and what I learned in the Desma 9 class.


drawing for female human body
I realize mathematic is very important, and I can see a lot of applications of mathematical ideas in the artistic works. For example, the follow two drawings utilize some angles to show three-dimensional feeling. For the drawing of the female naked body, I feel really shocked how I can recognize the human body, because the drawing is so simple, and it shows the different phases of human body, and it is quite amazing. Besides, I also saw a very sophisticated drawing. I show the picture on the right side. To be honest, I do not quite understand what this drawing wants to show. Nevertheless, I saw there are lots of different geometric shapes in the drawing. For example, I can see circles, semicircles, sector and so on, and they combine together to show the artistic beauty.


 What's more, I think "two cultures" is another very common idea which we can see in the art world. I provide the following picture on the left. I cannot fully understand what this drawing wants to express, but I have my own thinking. The drawing looks like one superhero is fighting against the evil. I think this is a combination of "two cultures". Even though it is not the same concept we learned in the class, I do think the superhero and the evil represent two different aspects of the world-- positive side and negative side.


This comes to the end of my blog. Even though I am not a professional artist, and I cannot really understand a lot of artistic piece, I really learned a lot of knowledge in Desma 9 class. I think it really deserves the time!




No comments:

Post a Comment