Sunday, April 26, 2015

Event 1: HAMMER MUSEUM

HAMMER MUSEUM pass
 I have studied at UCLA for almost four years, and I have never been to Hammer Museum before. Since it is a recommended event, I went to Hammer Museum yesterday. Hammer Museum is basically an art museum, but the outside looking of the museum looks like a science museum. It makes me relate to the two cultures lecture. Besides, even though Hammer Museum is an art museum, it exhibits a large number of projects which contains innovative technology and science. I was totally attracted by so many amazing projects. I went to "Lauren Bon and Metabolic Studio", "This Is the End" and "Provocations".


vessel explanation
vessel model
“Provocations” is really impressive. I am not only enjoying the beautiful designs of art, but also connecting them to what I have learnt in Desma 9 class. “Provocations” exhibits “British designer Thomas Heatherwick’s projects ranging in scale from very small to monumental, from products to public sculpture to architecture”(Hammer ). Heatherwick utilizes a lot of math and modern technology to help make buildings more attractive.




Vessel is an example, Heatherwick “makes multiple cuts into a piece of wood, giving it a comb-like texture in contrast to its smoothness”(Hammer).Heatherwick puts three pieces together, and he can hold them without using glue. It shows a very attractive shape, and it uses some mathematics and physics principles to make it possible.


Model of Large Span Rolling Bridge


 Another example is Large Span Rolling Bridge. It “would use cables, gravity, and an electric winch to fold decks into each other to open the bridge” (Hammer). The design of the bridge uses modern technology and material to make the design possible. This design is filled with artistic sense.





 
Learning hub
 
Gazebo


I feel that the architecture has very close relationship with mathematics. I saw so many models in the exhibition, and they all have some applications of mathematics. Using the mathematical knowledge can make the building more stable and more attractive. For example, learning hub in Singapore and Gazebo in London are two other examples. 
Me and staff





Hammer Museum and “Provocations” give me a lot of real life examples for the relationship between art and mathematics. I applied lots of knowledge I just learnt in Desma 9 class. I highly recommend my classmates to go to Hammer Museum. It is a beautiful place, and it can expand our views. Besides, we can apply what we just learnt to the real life. It is a very impressive experience, and I think I need to go to museum more often to relax my mind.









Work Cited:

"Provocations." HAMMER. Web. 26 Apr. 2015. <http://hammer.ucla.edu/exhibitions/2015/provocations-the-architecture-and-design-of-heatherwick-studio/>.



No comments:

Post a Comment